Monday, February 21, 2011

What do I get from becoming a Bencher?

My friends ask me time and again, "Why run for Bencher? Where do you have the time? What do you get out of it?"

My answer is always the same, "Things need to change and they won't change if I don't do what I can to change them. I can whine and complain about the "old guard" that runs the law society or I can do something about it."

For me there is a legacy aspect to my quest.

I want to leave the law society in much better shape than it is now; I want to leave a more efficient law society, a more fiscally responsible law society, a more transparent law society, a law society with a clear strategic vision for the future of law; a law society that seeks to be a leader in innovative legal services delivery.

I also won't run for more than two terms as I understand that after 8 years as a Bencher, your thinking is no longer fresh and innovative; that it is time to step aside for the next group.

The last question, "What do you get out of it?" is one that concerns me the most.

It tells me that too many lawyers see running for Bencher as a career move.

And that is certainly the impression that I received from attending the Toronto Bencher information session late last year. Speakers at that session spoke about what a great personal experience it is to be a Bencher and what connections could be made as a Bencher.

In my view those are the wrong reasons to run for Bencher.

Becoming a Bencher is about service to the profession - full stop.

A lawyer should run for Bencher because he or she has ideas, plans and skills to make the profession better for lawyers and for the public.  A lawyer should not be running for Bencher to add to his or her resume.

We need Benchers with actual governance experience and training; Benchers who are well-versed with innovative legal technology; Benchers who understand that the legal landscape has changed and have a vision of where law is going; Benchers who represent practice areas other than litigation; Benchers who are aware of and are willing to learn from what other regulators are doing.

We are in need of fresh thinking.

I urge you to vote for fresh faces, fresh ideas, fresh experience and for those with a vision.

It is time to renew the law society.

What do I get from becoming a Bencher?

Nothing.

It is what I can give to the profession by becoming a Bencher that is important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment